1848 the Scottish born Norwegian explorer, Thomas Archer was the first
white man to set foot on the land now known as Eidsvold Station.
When he stood surveying the countryside from a rocky outcrop beside the
Burnett River it became obvious he had found the "pot of gold"
he had been searching for. Eidsvold Station was named after a small
Norwegian Village where in 1814, the independent constitution of Norway
1905 De Berg Persse and his son-in-law Fitzpierce Joyce, purchased
Eidsvold Station. By 1936 Fitzpierce Joyce has passed on and hos
eldest son Barney was called home from Argentina to take over management.
seen Santa Gertrudis cattle at the King Ranch in Texas, USA, Barney
decided these cattle were the cattle most likely to be best suited to the
|Eidsvold Station for
purchased Santa Gertrudis bulls at the 1953 King Ranch sale held at Risdon.
In 1954 Barney visited Texas USA and purchased 10 yearling purebred
females from Armstrong Ranch. These ten females became the nucleus
of the Eidsvold herd. This Eidsvold Station became Santa Gertrudis
Stud No. 2 in Australia.
Barney and Joan Joyce made Eidsvold Station
famous for its Santa Gertrudis cattle, its quarter horses, for its visitors
and renowned hospitality. Royal visitors have included His Royal
Highness Prince Charles (twice) and His Royal Highness Prince Richard of
Gloucester. The property has been owned and managed by Barney's
nephew Anthony and his wife Sally for the last three decades.